Using Student Email
Each student is allocated a Curtin provided email address when their OASIS account is created, your student email account is a hosted service known as Office 365 provided by Microsoft in cooperation with Curtin.
Your student email account (e.g. StudentNumber@student.curtin.edu.au) is for your own private use and must not be confused with the Official Communications Channel.
On this page you can find out more about:
You can also find information about:
- Setting up student email to run through an external email client (i.e. Microsoft Outlook)
- Setting up student email to run through a mobile device
- Managing spam
- Downloading and installing Office 365 Pro Plus for free
Microsoft Office 365 provides Curtin students with email access and a suite of online services. Student Email can be accessed by clicking on the 'Open your OASIS email link' on the Welcome tab. The Office 365 email application will open in a new window without requiring you to enter a separate password.
Navigating through Student Email
In addition to the normal functions of receiving, composing and sending emails, you are able to customise your messages by, for example, attaching files or requesting a receipt when a message is read or delivered. You can set up folders to manage messages just as you would with a paper filing system. You are also able to manage emails by setting up custom rules.
For detailed information on using specific functions in your email inbox visit the Microsoft Web App help website.
Using your Calendar
Your calendar is just like any other calendar, although with a number of additional features. You are able to add attachments to appointments, set up meetings with multiple people, create reminders and set repeat appointments.
For detailed information on using your Calendar visit the Microsoft Web App help website.
There is a light version of the mail client that has been specifically designed for users who are blind or have low vision. For information on the light version of email visit the Microsoft Web App help website.
For specific help for the window you are working on, click the help icon in the top right of the browser window.
Logging Out of your Email Account
When you finish using your mailbox, be sure to click Sign out on the toolbar, and then close all browser windows. Signing out helps prevent someone else from using the computer to access your mailbox. Even if you plan to continue using the computer to visit other Web sites, click Sign out and close all browser windows after every session.
The Student Email system has a 'store and forward' facility for students wishing to automatically forward mail from Student Email to an external email address.
If auto-forwarding is set up, email received in your Student Email inbox will be copied to the external email address you have provided. Messages will not be deleted from your Student Email inbox, and you will still need to regularly log in to Student Email to delete unwanted messages and ensure you are not approaching your mailbox size limit.
Before setting up auto-forwarding, please be aware of the following:
- If your Student Email mailbox size limit (quota) is exceeded, messages will no longer be delivered to your Student Email address or forwarded to your external email address.
- If you exceed the mailbox size limit (quota) on your external email system, the Student Email system may not be able to deliver messages to your external address.
- Student Email has no message size restrictions. If your external email system has message size restrictions, large messages forwarded from Student Email may not be able to be delivered to your external address.
- If you provide an incorrect forwarding address, messages will not be delivered to your external email address. It is possible that your email messages will be sent to another person's inbox. Double-check that you do not make typing errors when setting up email forwarding.
To set up auto-forwarding, follow these steps:
- After you sign in to your email, click Options, then click See All Options.
- On the My Account tab, under Shortcuts to other things you can do, click Forward your email.
- On the Connected Accounts tab, under Forwarding, click in the text box and enter the address you want your mail sent to.
- Click Start Forwarding to save your changes. You can then remove this by clicking Stop Forwarding.
- Click Save and close the window.
It is good practice to check that forwarding is working correctly by sending a test email to your Student Email address.
Curtin will not guarantee delivery to forwarding addresses and will not monitor and/or manage undeliverable messages.