Dr Mohammad Swapan
|Faculty||Faculty of Humanities|
|School||School of Built Environment|
|Department||Department of Planning and Geography|
|Phone||+61 8 9266 1999|
|Fax||+61 8 9266 2711|
PhD (Urban and Regional Planning) 2013 - Curtin University, Australia; Master of Environmental Studies 2007 - Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand; Bachelor of Urban and Rural Planning (BURP) 2001- Khulna University, Bangladesh.
I am mainly interested in understanding community/users/consumers’ perceptions/behaviour/choice/satisfaction related to planning issues such as urban development projects, open space/urban parks, utility services (water supply, energy, waste management) and performance of city administrations. I am also engaged in examining various participatory disaster management approaches for resilient cities around the globe. I frequently use mixed research approach including qualitative scaling and GIS based spatial analysis. I am interested in planning issues in Australia as well as relevant to the developing world.
SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2012) Community level adaptation strategies for agricultural production in saline prone southwest coastal region of Bangladesh. In Integrated Water Resources Management and Challenges of the Sustainable Development, IHP-VII Series on Groundwater No.4. Paris, UNESCO.
KHAN, S. & SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2012) Rethinking Participation in the Planning Process: Search for an appropriate model in Bangladesh context. In: DIMMER, C., NISHIMURA, Y., eds. Planning for Sustainable Asian Cities, University of Tokyo.
SWAPAN, M. S. H. & AHMED, S. (2008) Ensuring access to urban water for slum dwellers: an institutional synthesis of low income cities in Bangladesh. IN FEYEN, J., SHANNON, K. & NEVILLE, M. (Eds.) Water and Urban Development Paradigms: Towards an integration of engineering, design and management approaches. London, CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group).
HOSSAIN, A. T. M. Z., SWAPAN, M. S. H. & AKHTER, M. (2007) Environment in Crisis: Addressing Major Environmental Issues in the Southwest Region of Bangladesh, Khulna, JJS.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (Research)
SWAPAN, M. S. H., IFTEKHAR, M.S. & LI, XIYUAN (2017) Contextual variations in perceived social values of ecosystem services of urban parks: A comparative study of China and Australia, Cities, 61, 17–26
SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2016) Who participates and who doesn't? Adapting community participation model for developing countries, Cities, 53, 70–77
SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2016) Participatory Urban Governance in Bangladesh: A Study of the Gap between Promise and Realities, Environment and Urbanization ASIA, 7 (2).
ZAMAN, A. U. & SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2016) Performance evaluation and benchmarking of global waste management systems, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 114, 32-41.
SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2014) Realities of community participation in metropolitan planning in Bangladesh: a comparative study of citizens and planning practitioners' perceptions, Habitat International, 43, 191-197.
ISLAM, M. S., SWAPAN, M. S. H. & HAQUE, S. M. (2013) Disaster risk index: How far should it take account of local attributes? International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 3, 76-87.
KHAN, S. & SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2013) From blueprint master plans to democratic planning in South Asian cities: Pursuing good governance agenda against prevalent patron-client networks, Habitat International, 38, 183-191.
SWAPAN, M. S. H. & GAVIN, M. (2011) A desert in the delta: Participatory assessment of changing livelihoods induced by commercial shrimp farming in Southwest Bangladesh, Ocean & Coastal Management, 54 (1), 45-54.
AHMED, S. & SWAPAN, M. S. H. (2009) Peoples Participation in the Physical Planning Activities: A Case Study of Khulna Development Authority, Journal of Bangladesh Institute of Planners, 2, 61-70.
SWAPAN, M. S. H. & AHMED, S. (2008) Improving Holding Tax Assessment – A Case Study of Nirala Residential Area, Khulna. Khulna University Studies, 9(2), 181-190.
SWAPAN, M. S. H., ISLAM, K. S. & AHMED, S. (2006) Where the Urban Poor are - Landuse as A Determinant? A Study of Khulna City, Bangladesh, Plan Plus, 4, 119-135.
SWAPAN, M. S. H., KARIM, M. R. & ASHIQ-UR-RAHMAN, M. (2006) Analysis and Planning of Water Supply Network System of Gopalgonj Pourashava using Different GIS Techniques, Khulna University Studies, Special Issue, 15-26.
KARIM, M. R., SWAPAN, M. S. H. & RAHMAN, A. S. M. S. (2005) Application of GIS Data Models in Vulnerability Analysis and Management of Arsenic Contaminated Areas: A Study on Debhata Upazila of Bangladesh, Plan Plus, 3, 146-165.
Funded Research Projects
- Scoping Study of future transport corridors for Perth’s East Metropolitan Region (2012-2015: East Metropolitan Regional Council) – Local competitive project with Dr. Shahed Khan
- Community Bus Project (2012: City of Vincent) - Local competitive project with Dr. Shahed Khan
- Realities of Community Participation in the Planning Process (2009-2013: Doctoral Research) – International competitive award
- Brownfields, Green Cities, and the Future Colour of Conservation (2006: Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand) – with Dr. Michael Gavin
- Enhancing the Livelihood of Urban Poor in KCC Area through e-Development: The Role of GIS, Information & Communication Technologies (2008-2009: Ministry of Science and Information Communication Technology, Bangladesh) - National competitive grant
- Preparation of comprehensive disaster management plan for Assasuni Sub-district of Khulna Region (2007 – 2009: United Nations Development Progarmme) – National competitive grant with Dr. Shahim Mahabubul Haque
- Governance Performance Monitoring: A Report Card Survey (2007: Manusher Jonno Foundation and UNDP)
- Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (EIPRS) 2009-2013
- Best Paper Award, 4th International Conference on Built Environment in Developing Countries, 2010 (Penang, Malaysia)
- SUN scholarship - Central European University, Budapest, Hungary 2008
- New Zealand Agency for International Development (NZAID) Postgraduate Scholarship 2005-2007
- Planning Project
- Planning Report
- Regional Planning
- Planning Theory
- Simon Luscombe (PhD) - An evaluation of the City of Armadale's incentive for higher density development (Co-supervision: completed in 2016)
- Fida Ashori (PhD) - Land value capture (Co-supervision: ongoing)
- Neshen Sooben (MURP) - Community participation in slum up-gradation project (2016)
- Jean-Paul Gassin (MURP) - Sustainable Practice in Urban Transport Management of South-East Queensland (2015)
- Samia Mishu (MURP) - Effects of suburb's profile on shaping barriers and enablers to cycling (2014)
- Xiyuan Li (MURP) - Functionality of Urban Parkland (2014)
- Pisal Tep (MURP) - Quality of walkable environment in Perth's CBD (2014)
- Johra Popy (MURP) - Built environment instruments for walkable neighbourhood (2013)
- Noureen Irfan (MURP) - Physical characteristics required for functional open spaces (2013)
- Indika Gunathilaka (MURP) - Tenant needs analysis framework for resettling low income earners to high rise apartments in Colombo, Sri Lanka (2012)
- Sunehla Bala (MURP) - Housing Affordability in Sydney Region (2012)